January 2013 was my first month of “real” blogging.
I pushed myself to start blogging before but never kept up with it for more than a post now and then. What had changed?
- overcoming the fear of “how should I get started? what should I write?”
- writing about my experience with startups, projects, research
- strict schedule for writing
Once you started with the first couple of posts in a row the ideas start flowing for new topics. You develop this “awareness” for interesting stuff during your daily-routine and become really good at finding things to tell from your experience. I’ll cover my learnings from starting to blog, my schedule, etc. in a seperate post the next days, as I learned a lot from reading other peoples’ thoughts on this topic before.
As I have always been asking myself all these questions before getting-starte like “where to publish my posts?”, “who is going to read them?”, “how many readers do people have?” (and a lot more questions…) I’ll publish my findings and analytics on a monthly basis and hope that it’ll be useful for others who are just getting started.
So for January 2013:
- 4320 visits / 3820 unique visitors
- 4950 pageviews
- average visit: 1 minute 20 seconds
I have written 5 posts in January:
I posted the first four on reddit and hacker-news:
- 1607 Unique Pageviews: Don’t be evil: advice for Startups using Google Adwords
- 1501 Unique Pageviews: Hacker, Painter & Understander – a guide to coding as a biz-guy
- 870 Unique Pageviews: Early-Bird vs Night-Owl: Finding your optimal workflow
- 199 Unique Pageviews: How to write research-backed blog-posts – and why!
- 66 Unique Pageviews: 10 Ways To Drive The First 1k Users To Your Landing-Page
The brakedown of the traffic in terms of its origin:
And I also started tracking the Facebook traffic which was bigger than I thought. My skepticism comes from the content that my friends usually share (videos, images, cats, etc.):
I also got some really nice comments and emails from readers. These were mostly focused on getting-started and I hope that I was able to assist in each case.
I am really looking forward to February and to continue sharing my experience as I gain so much by the effort, time and thought that other people put into their blog-posts.
Have a great start into the new month to all of you!!